Join our team and change the life of pets
By joining our team, you could work for Oklahoma’s largest animal welfare nonprofit and save animal lives right in Oklahoma City. We are a mission-focused group of individuals who are working to see a day when every adoptable animal finds a home. You can browse our available jobs and careers below. Thank you for your interest!
OK Humane is a high-volume, affordable spay/neuter clinic that services performs an average of 65 spay/neuter surgeries a day. We also see 20 animals a day for vaccinations and general health check-ups.
We are a high energy, dynamic team that works hard every day to provide every pet that walks through our doors with care, compassion, and top-notch customer service. Want to join our team?
We are looking for a veterinary assistant! This position is the backbone of our surgery team. From assisting in surgery, answering owner’s questions, and keeping the clinic clean and organized, there is never a dull moment in a vet assistant’s day.
Here’s who we’re looking for:
- You like to MOVE! Sitting at a desk makes you antsy, and you’d rather hustle through your day than dawdle in front of a computer.
- One of your catchphrases is, “How can I help?”—you always bring your best to every situation and contribute however you can.
- Bring on the multi-tasking! You can make a sandwich, file your taxes, walk your dog AND call your grandma at the same time.
- You love the sensation that comes from being on a team and accomplishing the impossible with a solid group effort.
- Nothing would make you prouder than to be a part of an effort to reduce pet overpopulation in our community.
Duties & Responsibilities:
In accordance with organizational policies, duties include but are not limited to:
- Perform daily cleaning of kennels, cages and public areas when necessary.
- Spot clean throughout the day.
- Clean prep room and operating room at the end of the day.
- Wash and sterilize all surgical packs throughout the day.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Restrain all patients during anesthesia induction and intubation.
- Monitor all patients on gas anesthesia.
- Prepare patients for surgery as instructed.
- Transport patients from prep room to operating room.
- Assist veterinarians in surgery as needed.
- Keep veterinary lead assistant informed of animal behavior, health, or concerns.
- Administer animal vaccinations, tests, medications and treatments as directed.
- Assist clients with necessary paperwork.
- Monitor patients in recovery.
- Provide excellent patient care.
- Must be able to learn basic veterinary medical concepts including but not limited to vaccine protocols and anesthetic risks.
- Must also be able to communicate basic veterinary concepts to owners and be able to repeat information relayed by a veterinarian.
- Will be asked to communicate with the public on a daily basis in a professional manner.
- Ability to follow directions and multitask.
Work may be performed in a kennel/shelter setting and/or outdoors.
- Must be able to work standing or sitting for 8 or more hours.
- Must be able to lift and carry up to 50 pounds repeatedly throughout the day with help.
- Must be able to bend and kneel repeatedly.
- Must have good range of motion in joints especially wrist, knees, elbows.
- Must have good range of motion in your back, for instance twisting.
- Must be able to work in potentially extreme environmental temperatures.
- Must be able to use a ladder and or step stool.
- Must possess excellent hand-eye coordination.
- Must possess an acceptable degree of dexterity in hands and fingers. Exposure to disinfectant solutions when cleaning.
- Subject to animal bites and scratches while handling animals of questionable temperament.