It’s getting hot out there! Memorial Day is the kickoff of summer and with it comes high temperatures, which could be very dangerous for your furry friends. Therefore, we’d like to offer some great tips to keep your pets happy and healthy this summer!
- Visit a Vet – It’s important to take your pet for a check-up to get tested for heartworms and other problems.
- Give them plenty of water – Pets can easily get dehydrated when it’s hot and humid so be sure they always have water, a shady place, and do not over-exercise.
- Know the overheating symptoms – These include excessive panting, difficulty breathing, increased heart/respiratory rate, drooling, mild weakness, stupor or collapsing.
- Never leave alone in a parked car – Interior temperature increase can lead to fatal heat stroke. Cracking a window doesn’t prevent rising temperature.
- Don’t linger on asphalt – Being so close to the ground, your pooch’s body can heat up quickly, and sensitive paw pads can burn. Keep walks during these times to a minimum.
- Never shave your pet – Feel free to trim longer hair, but the layers of dogs’ coats protect them from overheating and sunburn. Brushing cats more often than usual can prevent problems caused by excessive heat.