Super Bowl Sunday is a great excuse to get together with friends and family and pig out while watching football. Unfortunately, many of those same party foods can be dangerous for your pet. Here are five things you should keep away from your cat or dog via PetMD:
- Alcohol – Consumption of as little as a few ounces of beer or other alcoholic beverages can result in ethanol poisoning in dogs and cats. Signs of poisoning include involuntary urinating, hypothermia, slowed breathing, and even heart attacks.
- Chicken Wings – The Association for Pet Obesity Prevention (APOP) recently warned pet owners not to feed their pets chicken wings due to the risk of intestinal obstruction — or worse. Another often overlooked risk of chicken wings is salt.
- Chocolate – This sweet treat can be poisonous to your pet. The compound in chocolate that is of major concern is theobromine, which is most concentrated in dark chocolate and unsweetened baking chocolate. Chocolate poisoning can cause heart arrhythmias, muscle tremors, and seizures.
- Soda – Caffeinated drinks (and foods) can cause your dog or cat to suffer from restlessness, breathing issues, heart palpitations, and muscle tremors.
- Guacamole – This creamy dip contains three ingredients that are dangerous to pets: avocado, garlic, and onion. Onions and garlic can cause gastrointestinal issues, elevated heart rate, and red blood cell damage. Avocado toxicity, meanwhile, can lead to vomiting, diarrhea, and lack of stool production.
Though your pets can’t indulge in these treats, there’s no reason why they shouldn’t also celebrate! Here’s a recipe for dog-friendly treats:
Peanut Butter Bacon Dog Treats
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- 3/4 cup skim milk
- 1 large egg
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/3 cup oats
- 3 strips bacon, crumbled or chopped
- Preheat oven to 325 F
- Mix peanut butter, milk, and egg. Make sure there are no lumps.
- Add the flour and baking powder. The dough will be very thick.
- Add the oats and bacon.
- Roll the dough out about 1/4″ thick.
- Cut into shapes with a cookie cutter.
Bake for 18-20 minutes.